Tuesday, August 14, 2007

SLAYER Stole My Soul (and my hearing)...

Greetings MetalMortals,
I saw Slayer/Marilyn Manson last night at Allstate Arena in Chicago...S-L-A-Y-E-R!!! I have seen Slayer on Ozzfest before, but to see them as a headliner at an indoor venue could kill a fucking person! Kerry King & Company blew my fucking ears out. It was SO LOUD you could feel your chest thumping from the bass (at a concerning pulse) and it was moving the hair on my arms (yeah I have hairy arms...fuck you too).

Manson put on a good show and the highlight of his set was the closer The Beautiful People (there was even a mosh pit for for this one!). I gotta tell ya, the Slayer/Manson combo was a weird one...a lot of the Slayer fans were yelling out "show's over" when Slayer left the stage and otherwise displayed hostility toward Manson (and anything else non-Slayer). Manson didn't talk to the crowd at all and gave no warning of his last song and didn't do an encore. Not really my style, but whatever (apparently the Goths like this kind of treatment?). He was making an "artistic statement" I guess. Don't get me wrong...I dig some Manson here and there but I'm more of a Pantera/Ozzy/Megadeth/BLS/Down kind of dude.

HIGHLIGHT OF THE SHOW: South of Heaven...that song is just sick. It starts out with the cross illuminated on the wall of amps as the lead riff rips. Then the riff drops down and gets really heavy and the cross flips upside down...madness ensues.

MOST DISTURBING SIGHTING: While there were tons of Metal Hotties running around at the show (thank you Marilyn Manson), I did see some seriously disturbing shit as well. The most disturbing (and just wrong) sighting was a dude with a tattoo of "ARYAN PRIDE" across his collarbones and the "SS" insignia on his lower back. There is just no place for that kind of crap in the metal community today man. He'll probably be back in jail soon...

MOST SURPRISING: Who knew Marilyn Manson fans were serious potheads? I figured to smell a little herbage during the Slayer set, but it was a 420 marathon during the Manson set. Fire it up!

BIGGEST DOWNER: No beverages allowed on the floor/pit area. That is definitely NOT metal at all.

TECHNICAL ECSTASY MOMENT(S): Kerry King and Jeff Hanneman dueling guitar solos in almost every song. Technical chaos from the founding guitarists of Slayer at FULL volume...this is the kind of shit that makes you question if there really is a God? Pure Evil.

Here is a little taste of the Slayer magic (not from this tour...couldn't find a good clip from this tour. If you have one send it!)

Until next time...horns up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home