Saturday, August 05, 2006

Ozzfest 2006 at Alpine Valley!

Greetings MetalMortals!
It's that time of year again O' my Brothers. Ozzfest 2006 edition! I caught up with Ozzy & Co. at the Alpine Valley venue in East Troy, WI. Overall, the lineup for 2006 was weak. I give it a 6 out of 10 vs. previous years. That being said, it was still a great time and I wouldn't have missed it. These were the highlights:

1) Avenged Sevenfold performing Walk.
I have never really listened to Avenged Sevenfold, except for every time I play Madden 2006, and that my brothers, is plenty for me. However, I must give credit where it's due. Avenged Sevenfold kicked some serious ass with their cover of Pantera's Walk. Tommy Knocker is a HUGE Pantera fan and I went nuts when I heard the opening riff. Then I proceeded to have a one-man mosh pit on the lawn with my infamous wicked jack-o-lantern mask on.

2) Black Label Society. What more needs to be said? Zakk & the Doom Crew kicked ass as always. If you have never seen BLS in concert, then you need to go and see them. They always do a great show.

3) Ozzy Osbourne. Ozzy headlined the 2nd Stage, so he was out front and center at about 4:00pm. It was weird to see him in the daylight. He only played for about 50 minutes, which was a bit of a downer. Suicide Solution was the highlight for me with Zakk channeling Randy Rhoads for the solo. The rain started to pour toward the end of Ozzy's set and it was welcomed by all (temperature was 90+).

It would have been nice to remember more about the Hatebreed set, but I was struggling with the effects of the cold ones and rolled ones that were consumed during the tailgate at that point.

Disturbed was ok. I like some of their songs, but not anything to write home about. Disturbed kind of seems like "corporate" heavy metal to me.

I never thought this day would come, but I left before Ozzfest was offically over. Right before the closing act System of A Down started their set, I headed for the parking lot. System of A Down has a couple of mildly interesting songs, but for the most part they belong on Lollapalooza or some other weak ass tour. System of A Down is not metal and the lead singer doesn't really sing (ever).













Final thought....Ozzy, get back on the Main Stage and headline this thing man! That's it brothers. I'm out. I will report from BLS concert in Chicago in November, but will probably have some new posts before that!
Later,
Tommy Knocker

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home